CFCC 2019-2020 Catalog & Student Handbook 
    Jun 18, 2024  
CFCC 2019-2020 Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

College Transfer Program Information

General Education Values Statement

General Education Courses and Competencies

All associate degree programs at Cape Fear Community College (CFCC) comply with the program standards established by the North Carolina Community College System. Each degree program includes a general education component consisting of a minimum of 15 credit hours:

  • The Associate in General Education program requires a minimum of 15 general education credit hours;
  • The Associate in Applied Science programs require a minimum of 15 general education credit hours;
  • The Associate in Engineering requires a minimum of 42 general education credit hours;
  • The Associate in Arts requires a minimum of 46 general education credit hours;
  • The Associate in Science requires a minimum of 45 general education credit hours; and
  • The Associate in Fine Arts programs require the following:  25-26 general education credit hours in the Music premajor, 31-32 general education credit hours in the Theatre premajor, and 25-26 general education credit hours in the Visual Arts premajor.

Degree programs’ general education components are comprised of courses from some or all of the following areas: communications, humanities and fine arts, social and behavioral sciences, natural sciences, and mathematics.

General education courses are designed to introduce students to a wide variety of academic topics and traditions. These courses also help promote students’ attainment of CFCC’s general education competencies, which represent the broad areas of knowledge and skills that students develop in the general education component of their degree programs. CFCC’s general education competencies include:

  • Computer Literacy: Utilizing computing technologies for academic, professional, and personal productivity.
  • Critical Thinking: Applying critical thinking to problems, scenarios, and arguments in order to reach sound solutions, decisions, and positions.
  • Global Awareness: Utilizing the knowledge and skills necessary for understanding world events, cultures, and social institutions.
  • Oral Communications: Using oral communications skills to convey information, ideas, and arguments to specific audiences.
  • Quantitative Reasoning: Utilizing quantitative reasoning skills to make sense of and solve numerical problems and scenarios.
  • Scientific Reasoning: Using fundamental scientific concepts and theories to analyze problems, observations, and/or experiments.
  • Written Communications: Using written communications skills to convey information, ideas, and arguments to specific audiences.

These competencies promote learners’ appreciation for intellectual rigor, academic integrity, cultural diversity, and responsible citizenship.

College Transfer/University Parallel

General Information and Articulation Agreements

University of North Carolina Minimum Admission Requirements, Effective Fall 2006

(More commonly referred to as “Minimum Course Requirements” or “MCR”)

To enroll in a senior institution in the University of North Carolina (UNC) System, students whose high school class graduated in 1990 or later must have completed the following high school requirements:

  • Four (4) units of English (emphasizing grammar, composition, and literature)
  • Two (2) units of a language other than English
  • Four (4) units of mathematics in any of the following combinations:
    • Algebra I and II and geometry and one unit beyond Algebra II, or
    • Algebra I and II and two units beyond Algebra II, or
    • Integrated Mathematics I, II, and III and one unit beyond Integrated Math III (The fourth unit of mathematics affects applicants to all UNC institutions except the North Carolina School of Arts. The mathematics courses with Algebra II as a prerequisite that meet the new UNC Minimum Course Requirement are AP Calculus; AP Statistics; Pre-Calculus, formerly Advanced Math; Discrete Mathematics; IB Mathematics IV; and Advanced Functions and Modeling.)
  • Two (2) units of social studies (including one unit of US history).
  • Three (3) units of science (including a unit of life or biological science, a unit of physical science, and at least one laboratory course).

If a student has not met all the above requirements, the student is considered deficient in MCR. To remove an MCR deficiency and enroll in the UNC System, a student may choose one of the following options:

  1. Earn an Associate in Arts degree, an Associate in Science degree, a baccalaureate, or any other higher degree.
  2. Complete the following:
    • Six (6) semester hours of freshman composition.
    • Six (6) semester hours of college-level mathematics (must have an M-A-T prefix).
    • Six (6) semester hours of natural sciences.
    • Six (6) semester hours of social and behavioral sciences.
    • Six (6) semester hours of a foreign-language sequence (for students who graduate from high school in 2003-04 and beyond).

Students should always check with the Admissions Office  of the receiving institution for the most current transfer information. Effective  fall  of  2014,  UNC  institutions  will develop, publish,  and  maintain  four-year  degree  plans identifying community college courses that provide pathways leading to associate degree completion, admission Into the major, and baccalaureate completion. Students who complete the AA or AS degree and the degree plan tracks published by a UNC institution, and who are accepted into that institution and into that major within four years of initial enrollment at the community college, will continue into that major at the UNC institution with all courses fulfilling lower division general education requirements.

The North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement

To facilitate the transfer of students between the North Carolina Community College System and the constituent institutions of the University of  North  Carolina  System, the North Carolina General Assembly mandated the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA). The CAA applies to students who are pursuing an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science degree and provides guidance to  
those who are pursuing an Associate in Fine Arts degree. The main difference between the Associate in Arts and the Associate in Science degrees is that the Associate in Science degree requires a stronger background in math and science. These two transfer programs consist mainly of general education courses. The general education courses provide opportunities for students to know the philosophy, literature, institutions, and art of their own culture and other cultures; to understand math and science; to communicate with others and develop a sense of community. These courses also help students achieve competencies in the following: reading, writing, oral communication, fundamental mathematical skills, and the basic use of computers. Students should choose electives that align with their intended major and institution.

While general education courses may be used as electives, electives may not be used to fulfill general education requirements. Students must meet the receiving university’s foreign language and/or health and physical education requirements, if applicable, before or after transfer to the senior institution. Only 60-61 semester hours are guaranteed to transfer.

To receive the maximum benefit from the CAA, students may transfer as juniors if they follow these guidelines:

  • Earn an Associate in Arts degree or an Associate in Science degree.
  • Earn a grade of “C” or better in all CAA courses.
  • Earn an overall grade-point average of a “C” or a 2.0 at the time of transfer (Note: If the entering grade-point average of the receiving institution is higher than the 2.0 CAA grade-point average, the student must comply with the requirement of the receiving institution. Students should always contact the receiving institutions for the latest information about the admission and program standards. Some UNC institutions do not accept grades of a “C-,” even though CFCC will accept a “C-.”)
  • Obtain acceptance at the UNC institution.

Under the CAA, no student is guaranteed admission to the UNC institution of his/her choice or to any specific program or professional school in the institution. Admission is a competitive process.

Students Not Completing the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science Degrees

A North Carolina community college student who satisfactorily completes, with a grade of “C” or better, courses identified in the Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) will receive credit applied toward the university’s lower-division general education course requirements, subject to the following distribution limit: maximum of 6 hours in English Composition, 9 hours in Humanities/Fine Arts/Communications, 9 hours in Social/ Behavioral Sciences, 8 hours in Mathematics, and 8 hours in the Natural Sciences.

A North Carolina community college student who satisfactorily completes a transfer course that is not designated as a UGETC course will receive transfer credit for the course. The receiving institution will determine whether the course will count as general education, pre-major, or elective credit. (Source: CAA Manual, February 21, 2014)

Transfer of Courses Not Originated at North Carolina Community Colleges

Transfer credit for courses that originate at a UNC institution or an independent college or university that is part of the CAA is acceptable as part of a student’s successfully completed general education core or associate in arts or associate in science program under the CAA.

Transfer courses that do not originate at a North Carolina community college may be used under the CAA with the following stipulations:

  1. Courses must be completed at a regionally accredited institution of higher education (like the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges); and
  2. Courses must meet the general education requirements; and
  3. Courses may total no more than 14 semester hours of credit of the general education course credit.
  4. For courses not originating at a North Carolina community college, if the courses are used to complete the associate in arts or science degree, the courses will be taken as a complete package. Otherwise, if 14 or fewer hours are presented without completion of the associate in arts or science, then the receiving institution will consider the courses on a course-by-course basis.

Transfer Assured Admissions Policy (TAAP)

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) assures the admission of a North Carolina community college graduate to one of the sixteen (16) University of North Carolina (UNC) institutions with the following stipulations:

  • Admission is not assured to a specific campus or program or major.
  • Students must have graduated from a North Carolina community college with an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science degree.
  • Students must meet all requirements of the CAA.
  • Students must have a minimum grade-point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by the college from which they graduated, and a grade of “C” or better in all CAA courses. (Note: If the entering grade-point average of the receiving institution is higher than the 2.0 CAA grade-point average, the student must comply with the requirement of the receiving institution. Students should always contact the receiving institutions for the latest information about admission and program standards.)
  • Students must be academically eligible for re-admission to the last institution attended.
  • Students must meet judicial requirements for the institution to which they apply.
  • Students must meet all application requirements at the receiving institution, including the submission of all required documentation by stated deadlines.

If a student is denied admission to a UNC institution, he or she should receive a letter from that institution directing the student to the College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) website. At the CFNC website, the student will be presented with the conditions of the TAAP. If these conditions are  met, the student will be given information regarding space availability and contacts within other UNC institutions. The student should contact those institutions and get specific information about admissions and available majors.

If the steps above do not result in admission to a UNC institution, then the student should contact the CFNC Resource Center at 1-866-866-CFNC.

The Articulation Agreement Between Cape Fear Community College and The University of North Carolina at Wilmington

Effective March 1, 1999, the University of North Carolina  at Wilmington (UNCW) agrees to accept for academic  credit college transfer course work completed at Cape Fear Community College (CFCC). Graduates of a college transfer program at CFCC may receive automatic admission provided that space is available, which is usually in the summer and the fall, and may transfer to UNCW as a junior if they meet the following criteria:

  • Earn at least a “C” in each transferable course
  • Earn an overall grade-point average of a “B” or a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (based on CFCC’s calculation)
  • Complete an Associate in Arts degree or an Associate in Science degree
  • Complete the admissions process at UNCW.

One foreign language course (3 SHC) is required under the bilateral agreement, and the PE requirement is waived. The foreign language course may be taken at CFCC or UNCW.

Purpose of the College Transfer Programs

Most of the college transfer programs provide the first two years or the basic studies requirements of a baccalaureate degree. If students plan to transfer to a four-year college or university, they should declare a college transfer program  as their program of study. Cape Fear Community College (CFCC) offers six college transfer programs: one (1) associate in arts, one (1) associate in science, one (1) associate in engineering, and three (3) associate in fine arts.

These academic programs help students develop the abilities to solve problems, understand scientific principles, write and speak effectively, use computers, reason and think critically, research, understand cultures, manipulate numerical data, and work in teams—invaluable workplace skills for  the  21st
century. Across the college transfer curricula, faculty try to adapt to students’ learning styles by using a variety of teaching techniques. In turn, students are expected to adapt to a variety of teaching styles. To evaluate student performance, faculty use some of the following methods: critical analysis papers and research papers; article reviews; book critiques; organized discussions; video summaries and applications; journals and novels; study guides/concept sheet assignments; readers’ analysis of readings; debates; current events papers; project/oral presentations; exams/quizzes (true/false, fill in the blanks, short answers, multiple choice, essay); portfolios; hands-on assignments and faculty observation; peer reviews; role-playing; resumes, business letters, and compositions.

Enrollment in the college transfer programs averages 3,400 students per semester, excluding summer sessions. A majority of CFCC students transfer to UNC-Wilmington, East Carolina University, Appalachian State University, North Carolina State University, and UNC-Charlotte.

Choosing a Program of Study

When choosing a program of study, students should

  • Consider their talents/abilities, personality, and passions/ dreams.
  • Research the career of their choice for information about the following: the nature of the career, qualifications, salary range, market demand, employment locations, and related fields. For information about careers, students may visit CFCC’s Career and Testing Services.
  • Be willing to change their program if they discover a more rewarding academic field. Through a classroom project, an extracurricular activity, or an interview with someone in a field, a student may decide his or her career goal. Review the websites about academic majors from senior institutions.

The Public Institutions in the University of North Carolina System and Their Website Addresses

Appalachian State University

East Carolina University

Elizabeth City State University

Fayetteville State University

North Carolina A&T State University

North Carolina Central University

North Carolina School of the Arts

North Carolina State University


UNC-Chapel Hill:





Western Carolina University

Winston-Salem State University

The Private Colleges and Universities in North Carolina that Endorse the Statewide Comprehensive Articulation Agreement and Their Website Addresses

Barton College

Belmont Abbey College

Bennett College

Brevard College

Campbell University

Catawba College

Chowan College

Gardner-Webb University

Johnson C. Smith University

Lees-McRae College

Livingstone College

Louisburg College

Mars Hill College

Montreat College

North Carolina Wesleyan College

Peace College

Pfeiffer College

Queens University of Charlotte

Saint Andrews Presbyterian College

St. Augustine’s University

Shaw University

University of Mount Olive

Warren Wilson College

Wingate University

Art Supplies - In addition to the purchase of a textbook, some art classes require students to purchase supplies. The following costs are estimations and will depend on the instructor, the place of purchase, and the maker/manufacturer: ART 121 - Two-Dimensional Design  - Design I, $75-$100; ART 131 - Drawing I , $80 - $100; ART 240 - Painting I , $150-$175 (an additional $80 needed if a class wants to learn about watercolors and oils/acrylics.); and ART 261 - Photography I , $120 for film, paper and supplies. ART 261  also requires students to have a manual 35-millimeter camera. ART 283 - Ceramics I , Students in ART 283  must pay $10-$20 for a personal tool packet, available at the CFCC Bookstore.

Math Supplies - Students are required to purchase a graphic calculator (an estimate of $100) if they enroll in the following math classes: MAT 121 , MAT 122 , MAT 152 , MAT 171 , MAT 172 , MAT 271 , MAT 272 , and MAT 273 . (TI-84Plus is recommended.)

Internet, hybrid, and some face-to-face math courses require a MyLabsPlus student access code. This code is included with the purchase of a new textbook from the CFCC bookstore and is used to access the online portion of the class. If a used book is purchased, the code must be purchased separately at an additional cost either at the CFCC Bookstore or online from the publisher of the textbook.

Physical Education (PED) Information

Some PED classes require membership at a commercial facility approved by the class instructor. The cost ranges from $20 to $144 depending on the course and the facility. Some PED courses meet off campus at local parks.

All PED courses require a physical activity component. Details on specific PED course requirements may be found in the Course Descriptions  section at the rear of the catalog.

NOTE: The course PED 110  requires the commercial membership only if the PED 110  class is an internet class. The commercial facility must be approved by the instructor.

Science Supplies

Internet, hybrid, and face-to-face science courses may require software as an online supplement. This software will be included with the purchase of a new textbook from the CFCC Bookstore. The software may also be purchased separately at an additional cost if one is using a used textbook.

Students enrolled in BIO 175  are required to buy their own disposable lab coats, gloves, and goggles. These items may be purchased through the CFCC Bookstore. More information concerning lab coats and safety glasses will be given during the first day of class.

Students enrolled In CHM 131 /CHM 131A , CHM 151 , CHM 152 , CHM 251  and CHM 252  are required to buy safety glasses that give full coverage with side protection for the eyes. Safety glasses may be purchased through the CFCC Bookstore. In addition, students taking CHM 251  and CHM 252  will also need to purchase a cloth lab coat. More information concerning lab coats and safety glasses will be given during the first day of class.

Students enrolled in the Internet sections of BIO 110  or CHM 151 , as designated as “I” followed by the section number, are required to purchase a science lab kit. Please check with the CFCC Bookstore for the cost of the kit.

Students enrolled in the Internet sections of PHY 110  are required to purchase a metric ruler, a metric stick, and a 128 Hz tuning fork. Please check the instructor’s syllabus for purchasing details.

Staying Informed

Students should observe the school calendar, published in the front of the catalog, and read their CFCC email regularly to keep current. Such information as the following is provided: College Day at CFCC; announcements about the monthly visits from UNCW representatives on CFCC’s campus, fall and spring semesters; the Spring Fling; announcements about the Advisement Period; the dates for non-punitive withdrawals from classes.